Thursday 1 March 2012

Royal connections


Royal connections


Overview

This page illustrates the most obvious lines of descent from royalty to me, although there are of course many others. However, all the royals and aristocrats who I descend from had died well over 200 years before I was born, and all subsequent ancestors are humble people from North East Scotland. Even prior to the 18th century, I suspect that the vast majority of my ancestors were humble people, but data about them was generally not recorded. Thus, although there is a stark contrast between my known ancestors prior to the 18th century, who are mostly aristocratic or royal, and those since, who are all humble, the true picture is likely to be very different even allowing for the likelihood of a few more royal descents, some of which have been lost forever because the intermediate ancestors have not been recorded, and some of which might be hiding, waiting for me to discover them.

Most of the descents to John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne shown on this page are available via any number of books and websites. From that point, the descent to me is based on my father's research, but there is another branch to the current royal family, showing that I am an 8th cousin to Charles Windsor, Prince of Wales.

Although not part of the descents shown on this page, I also descend from other kings and queens including these.

There are historical kings and queens who have no descendants alive today, quite apart from King Alexander III who I mentioned above, some of whom had famous spouses. Let's look at some of those first, along with some other royals who are not my ancestors, before looking at my descent from ancient kings.


Distant relatives: Nearest common ancestors to me

The table below features some entries for monarchs, mainly focusing on partners. It also includes Oliver Cromwell, who replaced the royal family as head of state for a few years.

There are two descents from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster to Catherine of Aragón. The shorter line is through his marriage to Constance of Castile, Duchess of Lancaster, but I only descend from her if Lady Elizabeth Stanhope is the daughter of King James II of England, King James VII of Scotland. For a look at the question of Lady Elizabeth Stanhope's paternity, see Trivia (Elizabeth Butler. Countess of Chesterfield); a possible royal line is to be found in Table 13. In that event, the parents of Catherine of Aragón would be our nearest common ancestors, since King James II of England, King James VII of Scotland descends from a sibling of Catherine. As I make no assumptions about the father of Lady Elizabeth Stanhope except that he is one of two men, that leaves John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster and his first wife, Blanche of Lancaster as my nearest common ancestors with Catherine of Aragón.

While John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset and Margaret Beauchamp are both ancestors of mine, they only had one child as a couple, that child being Margaret Beaufort, the mother of King Henry VII, who might be my ancestor depending on the identity of Lady Elizabeth Stanhope's father. Margaret Beauchamp has more descendants through her previous marriage to Oliver St John, including me, while I descend from John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset via Tacine Beaufort, his illegitimate daughter.

The question of Lady Elizabeth Stanhope's father also affects my nearest common ancestor with King George VI. King James II of England, King James VII of Scotland would be our only nearest common ancestor if he were the father, since different partners are involved. Furthermore, my nearest common ancestors with Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall, Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Princess Diana would be King Charles I and his wife, who are the parents of King James II of England, King James VII of Scotland, because these women descend from King Charles II, while my nearest common ancestor with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands would be King James VI of Scotland, King James I of England.

The name of King Malcolm II's only wife has not been recorded for posterity.


Nearest common ancestors between British royalty and me
Name Ancestors Born
King Macbeth King Malcolm II 958
King Canute King Sveyn I of Denmark965
Margaret, Maid of Norway
Queen of Scots
King Alexander II
Mary (Marie) De Couci
1193
c1220
King Richard III Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland
Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland
1364
1375/9
Elizabeth "Bessie" Blount
Mistress of King Henry VIII
John De Beauchamp. Baron Beauchamp of Hache
Margaret De St John
1304
1308
Catherine of Aragón
1st wife of King Henry VIII
John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
Blanche of Lancaster
1340
1340
Anne Boleyn
2nd wife of King Henry VIII
Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk
Elizabeth Tylney, Countess of Surrey
1443
1446
Jane Seymour
3rd wife of King Henry VIII
Roger Wentworth
Margery le Despencer, Baroness Despencer
c1400
1397/8
Anne of Cleves
4th wife of King Henry VIII
Count William I of Hainault, William III of Holland
Jeanne De Valois
1286
c1291
Katherine Howard
5th wife of King Henry VIII
Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk
Elizabeth Tylney, Countess of Surrey
1443
1446
Katherine Parr
6th wife of King Henry VIII
Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland
Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland
1364
1375/9
Queen Mary I John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
Blanche of Lancaster
1340
1340
Queen Elizabeth I Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk
Elizabeth Tylney, Countess of Surrey
1443
1446
Lady Jane Grey
Queen of England
John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset
Margaret Beauchamp
c1371
1410/2
Oliver Cromwell John Dwnn o'r Abercyfor ac Cwrt Pibwr
Elizabeth Hastings
?
1429
Lucy Walter
Mistress of King Charles II
Maurice Berkeley, 3rd Lord Berkeley
Isabel Meade
1436
1444
Barbara Villiers
Mistress of King Charles II
Oliver St John
Margaret Beauchamp
1400/5
1410/2
Mary "Moll" Davis
Mistress of King Charles II
Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk
Elizabeth Tylney, Countess of Surrey
1443
1446
King George VI King James I of Scotland
Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots
1394
c1400
Queen Beatrix
of the Netherlands
King James I of Scotland
Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots
1394
c1400
Queen Margrethe II
of Denmark
King James I of Scotland
Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots
1394
c1400
Queen Elizabeth II John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Lady Elizabeth Stanhope
1663
1663
Camilla Shand
Duchess of Cornwall
John Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl
Margaret Douglas, "Fair Maid of Galloway"
c1440
1430
Sarah Ferguson
Duchess of York
John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis
Elizabeth Abernethy
c1544
1548
Princess Diana John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis
Elizabeth Abernethy
c1544
1548
Sophie Rhys-Jones
Countess of Wessex
Oliver St John
Margaret Beauchamp
1400/5
1410/2
Catherine Middleton
Duchess of Cambridge
Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland
Eleanor Neville, Countess of Northumberland
1391/2
1407

The descents from the two 1663 babies, John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and Lady Elizabeth Stanhope, occupy Table 14.


My descent from ancient kings

In these tables, the green and white stripes are descents to me, the brown and white stripes might or might not be descents to me depending on you-know-what-by-now, while the pale red and white stripes are not descents to me. Green stripes can appear at the top or bottom of a table that otherwise doesn't contain any green stripes to indicate that I definitely descend from those individuals via other lines.

Although my ancestry can be traced back to royal families all over Europe, this page is limited to England starting in Table 2, Scotland starting in Table 3, France (plus Italy) starting in Table 1 and Hungary starting in Table 7, with a touch of Wales starting in Table 4 and Normandy starting in Table 8. All of these lines can be traced back to biblical times, specifically to Beli Mawr.


Table 1

We begin with a line from King Charlemagne to King Edward III of England, which descends via the Italian and French royal families. King Charlemagne is also an ancestor of King William the Conqueror and (maybe) Margaret of Wessex, Saint Margaret of Scotland among others.

This descent features King Robert II, "the Pious", of France, who is a grandfather of Matilda of Flanders, wife of King William the Conqueror.

Wikipedia protests that evidence for the parentage of Beatrice De Vermandois is lacking, but does not suggest alternatives. As the names and dates seem plausible, I therefore give the benefit of the doubt. There are so many other lines of descent from King Charlemagne that his overall legacy is not in doubt. However, this is the main line via the French royal family, although I may have another look to see if there is another line that I can use safely.

Line of descent from King Charlemagne to King Edward III
King Charlemagne married
Hildegarde, Countess de Vinzgau
King Pepin I of Italy
King Bernhard of Italy
Pepin II de Senlis, Count de Peronne & St Quentin
Heribert I De Vermandois, Count de Vermandois
Beatrice De Vermandois
Hugues Magnus De Neustria, Count de Paris, "Hugh the Great"
Hugh Capet, King of France
King Robert II, "the Pious", of France
King Henri I of France
King Philippe of France
King Louis VI of France
King Louis VII of France
King Philippe II of France
King Louis VIII of France
King Louis IX of France
King Philippe III of France
King Philippe IV of France
Isabella of France
King Edward III

The descent from King Edward III continues in Table 9.


Table 2

Line of descent from King Alfred the Great to Margaret of Wessex, Saint Margaret of Scotland
King Alfred the Great married Ealhswith of Mercia
King Edward "The Elder"
King Edmund I
King Edgar
King AEthelred II the Unready
King Edmund II
Edward the Exile
Margaret of Wessex, Saint Margaret of Scotland

Table 3

Line of descent from King Kenneth MacAlpin to King Malcolm III
 
King Constantine I
King Donald II
King Malcolm I
King Kenneth II
King Malcolm II
Bethoc of Scotland
King Duncan I
King Malcolm III

The descent from King Malcolm III continues in Table 5.


Table 4

I descend from Llywelyn the Great in many different ways, including some lines that descend from his marriage to Joan Plantagenet of England, Lady of Wales. However, the mother of King Robert the Bruce's first wife is an illegitimate daughter of Llywelyn the Great.

Line of descent from Llywelyn the Great to Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland
Llywelyn the Great and an unknown mistress
Helen or Elen ferch Llywelyn
Isabella of Mar
Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland

The descent from Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland continues in Table 6.


Table 5

Lines of descent from King Malcolm III to Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland and Matilda of England
King Malcolm III married
Margaret of Wessex, Saint Margaret of Scotland
King David I Eadgith, Matilda of Scotland
Henry of Scotland, Earl of Huntingdon Matilda of England
David of Huntingdon, Earl of Huntingdon  
Isabel le Scot, Isobel of Huntingdon  
Robert de Brus, 5th Lord of Annandale  
Robert de Brus, 6th Lord of Annandale  
King Robert the Bruce  
Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland  

The descent from Matilda of England continues in Table 8.


Table 6

The first three kings listed here are definitely my ancestors. The other four might be, or they might not.

Line of descent from Princess Marjorie Bruce to King James I of Scotland and maybe King James V of Scotland
Princess Marjorie Bruce of Scotland married
Walter Stewart, 6th high Steward of Scotland
King Robert II
King Robert III
King James I of Scotland
King James II
King James III
King James IV
King James V of Scotland

The descent from King Robert II via the Lyon family continues in Table 11.

The descent from King James I of Scotland continues in Table 10.

The possible descent from King James V of Scotland continues in Table 13.


Table 7

This table provides another illustration of the international dimension to my distant ancestry. Most of the table is filled with men who were all kings or princes of Hungary. My line continues through several women who move around Europe for marriage, the last of them marrying King Edward III.

Line of descent from Béla I, King of Hungary, to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
Béla I married Ryksa Miciszlava
Géza I, King of Hungary
Almos, Duke of Croatia, Prince Álmos of Hungary
Béla II "Masodik Tak,", the blind King of Hungary
Géza II "Masodik Géza", King of Hungary
Béla III "Harmadik Béla", King of Hungary
Andras II, King of Hungary
Béla IV, King of Hungary
Stephen V, King of Hungary
Maria of Hungary
Margaret, Countess of Anjou
Jeanne De Valois
Philippa D' Avesnes
John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster

The descent from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster continues in Table 9.

Another possible royal descent from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster continues in Table 13.


Table 8

Line of descent from King William the Conqueror to King Edward III
King William the Conqueror
married Matilda of Flanders
King Henry I
Matilda of England
King Henry II
King John
King Henry III
King Edward I
King Edward II
King Edward III

Table 9

Line of descent from King Edward III to Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots
King Edward III married Philippa d'Avesnes
John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster
John Beaufort, 1st Earl of Somerset
Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots

Table 10

Apart from the final descent to me, I think this table contains the least known descent featured on this page. If you need information about other descents that aren't here, perhaps because of curiosity about the kings listed near the top of the page without their lines of descents, or the nearest common ancestors that I mention elsewhere in this blog, I can direct you to the source if I can remember it and if it is still there.

This table features members of Clan Keith. More about this clan in the notes ahead of the following table.

Line of descent from King James I of Scotland to John Lyon. 8th Lord Glamis
King James I of Scotland married Joan Beaufort
Joan Stewart, Countess of Morton
Janet Douglas
Mariota Erskine
William Keith, 2nd Earl Marischal
Robert Keith, Master of Marischal
Jean Keith
John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis

The descent from John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis, continues in Table 12.


Table 11

This table features Princess Joanna, who had three husbands. Her first husband, John De Keith, only lived to be 24 or 25, but they had one son together. I saw a website claiming that John De Keith is an ancestor of Isabella Keith, who is in turn both my ancestor via my mother and the paternal grandmother of Robert Burns. This certainly sounds plausible, but I have not seen the line of descent. If correct, it would confirm my belief that my mother has royal ancestors. Sadly, the website is no longer available to the public, but other websites appear to confirm the information in genreal terms by claiming that Isabella Keith descended from the Keiths of Marischal (who were popular with the Scottish royal family in those days) without giving any names.

Princess Joanna's second husband was Sir John Lyon. Together they had one son and thus began the Lyon / Bowes-Lyon dynasty, which has a branch that descends to me via my father. The line is listed in this table, the following table and the final table.

Princess Joanna's third husband was James Sandilands, 2nd Laird of Calder. Together, they had a daughter and a son. As far as I know, I carry no Sandilands blood, but can't rule out the possibility.

Line of descent from King Robert II to John Lyon. 8th Lord Glamis
King Robert II married Elizabeth Mure
Jean (or Johanna?) Stewart, Princess Joanna of Scotland
Sir John Lyon
Patrick Lyon, 1st Lord Glamis
John Lyon, 3rd Lord Glamis
John Lyon, 4th Lord Glamis
John Lyon, 6th Lord Glamis
John Lyon, 7th Lord Glamis
John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis

Table 12

Line of descent from John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis to John Lyon. 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis, married Elizabeth Abernethy
Patrick Lyon, 1st Earl of Kinghorne
John Lyon, 2nd Earl of Kinghorne
Patrick Lyon, 3rd Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne

The descent from John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne continues in Table 14.


Table 13

Here, I show the possible descent from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster to Lady Elizabeth Stanhope via royalty.

Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland is an ancestor of mine via John Guise of Sandford, whether or not she is an ancestor of Lady Elizabeth Stanhope.

Possible line of descent from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster to Lady Elizabeth Stanhope via King Edward IV
John of Gaunt eventually married Katherine Swynford (née Röet)
Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland
Cecily Neville, Duchess of York
King Edward IV
Elizabeth of York
King Henry VII
Margaret Tudor
King James V of Scotland
Mary Queen of Scots
King James VI of Scotland, King James I of England
King Charles I
King James II of England, King James VII of Scotland
Lady Elizabeth Stanhope

Table 14

We now come to the parting of the ways. The two 1663 babies, John Lyon, 4th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and Lady Elizabeth Stanhope get married and have eleven children, only some of whom live to be adults. One of their daughters marries a commoner, albeit one with aristocratic great-grandparents, and they have five children together, to add to the five that he had by his first marriage and one by his second marriage. The youngest of the eleven is my ancestor.

Meanwhile, a son of the 1663 babies sustains the aristocratic line, which continues into the new millennium. I think they are now up to the 18th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne. Along the way, the 9th earl marries Miss Bowes and thereafter the main family is no longer known as the Lyon family. The 14th earl does even better. He and his wife raise a large family and one of their daughters marries into the royal family. She only expects to be a minor royal because her husband's elder brother is heir to the throne, but things don't work out as she expects.

Two lines of descent from the 4th Earl (John Lyon) and Countess (Elizabeth) of Strathmore and Kinghorne
John Lyon married Lady Elizabeth Stanhope
Elizabeth Lyon Thomas Lyon
8th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Mary Forbes John Bowes (née Lyon)
9th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Abraham Guise Thomas Lyon-Bowes
11th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Valentina Guise Thomas Lyon-Bowes
Lord Glamis
Alexander Strachan Claude Bowes-Lyon
13th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Agnes Strachan Claude Bowes-Lyon
14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
Joseph Harris Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
Harry Harris Queen Elizabeth II
Peter Durward Harris Two of the four children
who continue the descent
End of the line Charles Windsor
Prince of Wales
Princess Anne
  Prince William
Duke of Cambridge
Zara Phillips

So ends the lines of descent to me from my royal ancestors, although my sisters have ensured that the line of descent from my parents will continue.


Plenty of mysteries remain

There are many aspects of my ancestry that remain mysterious, particularly on my mother's side, where no royal connection has been proved (but see notes for Table 11). It may be that I could solve some mysteries by subscribing to one of the ancestry websites. If I decide to spend money researching my ancestry, it won't be just to resolve one or two specific issues, but to resolve a lot of issues and to explore more generally. As things stand, I am content to explore my royal connections and to pick up whatever information I can about my humble ancestors.


My line ends with me

I have no children to claim the honor of being a 9th cousin of Prince William, Prince Harry, Zara Phillips and the rest, but my sisters all had children and those children have so far done more between them to continue the species than their famous 9th cousins have collectively done.

One more time now ....
Son, you are a bachelor boy
And that's the way you'll stay.
Son, you'll be a bachelor boy
Until your dying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment